Register now to secure your place in the 2019 Youth Development Camps held in each region.
The NZIHF is once again hosting a number of Youth Development camps which will take place throughout the regions in 2019.
Last year we held a series of very successful U16 Development camps and it was quickly realized that there were many players missing out on a wonderful program because of their age. To rectify that we have extended the program to encompass players born 2002 through to 2006 and remove the “U16” title and replace it with “Youth Development”. We will however maintain the U16 combined camp in January 2020. For this camp we will bring together a squad selected from the regional camps and rep season performances, from there a National U16 team will be selected.
We will be testing every player at each camp, with the aim to give players a benchmark of what key skills they need to focus more on to further their individual development. Overtime, we can use the testing to give coaches data they can use to modify their on and off ice coaching sessions.
Our aim is to provide the New Zealand’s top young players a FUN and age-appropriate on and off-ice training, which is accompanied by coaching from top-level New Zealand instructors.
These camps give players the opportunity to compete against their peers from throughout the country.
The trainings in the camp will be based on Hockey USA and the Leslie Brothers use of small area skills and station work.
How it works:
- Players will be placed in smaller groups of 6-8 players based on their experience
- On and Off ice basic testing, which is based off of Hockey Canada’s National testing program
- On ice skills (based on station work) for five to six sessions during the camp, with a maximum of two per day
- One off-ice testing – including push ups, 5m puck shuttle, plank and standing jump
- The ever so popular ‘video’ sessions
- Goalie specific training sessions during general on-ice sessions
- Through these regional camps, players will gain the opportunity to get to know coaches who are involved in various NZ National Team programs.
Please keep in mind that we as the coaches reserve the right to place players in the group that best meets the needs of the player and the camp.
The camps are designed so that players will return home with the necessary tools and knowledge to further develop their skills over the course of the coming season and hockey careers.
Each regional 2 ½ day Camp will cost $130 per camp and the Auckland 3 ½ day camp costs $150
When & Where:
- Auckland: Oct 25/28
- Queenstown: Nov 1/3
- Christchurch: Nov 15/17
- Dunedin: Nov 22/24
- U16 Selection Camp Jan 2020: venue and dates T.B.C
If you have more than one member of your family attending then please complete a new form for each child. You may also attend more than one camp if you wish, however should numbers reach the maximum then priority will always be given to the local players.
For more information, contact Neil Carey, General Manager of the NZIHF U16 Development Program: email@example.com